It has been a crowded few months of transfer bonus promotions—AAdvantage, Asia Miles, Etihad and United Mileage Plus have all offered similar promotions—with many programmes trying to encourage you to empty out your hotel loyalty accounts in favour of frequent flyer points.
While you are usually better off using your hotel points for free nights, if you were already looking to top up an account for a specific redemption, this offer could be your chance to earn some extra miles above those that you would usually receive from any transfer.
This offer is also unique in that it provides for a bonus for transfers from KrisFlyer, another frequent flyer programme.
Current transfer bonus offer
Transfer your reward points from… KrisFlyer or hotel partners by 30 November 2019 and you’ll be all set to be paid a 15% Velocity Points bonus.
Do I need to register for this offer?
No registration is required for this promotion.
The table below shows the participating partner transfer programmes, and how many bonus points would be received at the minimum conversion rates:
|Partner||Conversion Rate (Partner : Velocity)||Minimum Points/Miles needed to Convert||Bonus Velocity Points on Minimum Conversion||Total Points|
A transfer of 60,000 points will give you a total of 28,750 miles under this promotion.
|IHG Rewards Club||5:1||10,000||300||2,300|
|Shangri-La Golden Circle||1:1||2,500||375||2,875|
|Le Club AccorHotels||1:1||4,000||600||4,600|
- Only the programmes listed in the table above are participating in this offer. Several banks and card issuers including American Express are listed on the Velocity offer page, but New Zealand cardholders are ineligible
- Velocity are making no promises in their terms and conditions on when the bonus points will hit your account. So don’t rely on the transfer bonus for an urgent redemption
- It does not matter when the base points land in your account—e.g. December or January—as long as your transfer was initiated during the offer period of 1 to 30 November.
When does it make sense to transfer from KrisFlyer to Velocity?
Other ways to earn Velocity points
- Buy Marriott Rewards points and transfer to Velocity
- Earn American Express Membership Rewards Points from everyday spend which can then be transferred to Velocity
- Family pooling
- Velocity bonus point offers, e.g. OnSport
Here is the offer history for Velocity hotel transfer bonuses:
- November 2019: 15% bonus for transfers from KrisFlyer, Marriott Bonvoy, Le Club AccorHotels, IHG Rewards Club, Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges Rewards and Shangri-La Golden Circle
If you have a stack of hotel points and prefer free flights over free nights, or you were already planning to make a transfer, then this offer could be of some value.
Remember, point devaluations can be introduced with or without notice, so you should only convert your KrisFlyer miles or hotel reward programme points to Virgin Velocity if you have a specific redemption in mind, and with confirmed award availability.