Etihad are offering a 20% bonus when you convert hotel points into miles until 31 October, with no cap on the number of bonus miles you can earn.
This offer is run on average once per year.
Converting hotel points into airline miles is usually poor value. You’re generally better off maintaining your points balance to redeem on free nights, especially if these points have been earned the hard way through frequent stays.
However if you have a massive horde of hotel points that you don’t otherwise plan to use on future stays, this offer could be your chance to earn some extra miles above those that you would usually receive from any transfer.
You can even get some extra value our of your American Express Membership Rewards points on this offer.
Do I need to register?
No. Just initiate a transfer, and you’re good to go.
The table below shows the participating hotel partner transfer programmes, and how many bonus miles would be received at the minimum conversion rates:
(Points : Miles)
|Minimum Points needed to Convert||Bonus Miles on Minimum Conversion||Total Miles|
A transfer of 60,000 points will give you a total of 30,000 miles under this promotion.
|World of Hyatt||2.5:1|
A transfer of 50,000 points will give you 5,000 bonus miles, for a total of 29,000 miles under this promotion.
|IHG Rewards Club||5:1||10,000||400||2,400|
|Le Club AccorHotels||2:1||4,000||400||2,400|
|Shangri-La Golden Circle||1:1||2,500||500||3,000|
- Only the hotel programmes listed in the table above are participating in this offer
- The 20% bonus miles will post to your Etihad Guest account within 15 days following the end of the promotion period, i.e. by mid- November
- Transfer requests placed outside the promotion period will not qualify for bonus miless
How you could ‘hack’ this offer
Below are two ways in which you could increase the value of this conversion offer.
Marriott Bonvoy let you purchase 50,000 points per calendar year. Until 18 October, you can receive a 30% discount on any points purchase.
Providing you have not bought any points this year, you could buy up to 100,000 Marriott points under this sale across two transactions.
If this is you, here is how you could stack these two offers:
- Buy 50,000 Marriott points in one transaction, and 10,000 points in a second.
- Convert these 60,000 points to 20,000 Etihad Guest miles, plus a 5,000 mile bonus from Marriott.
- You will earn a 20% bonus on the initial 20,000 mile component, and the further 5,000 mile bonus from Marriott, giving you a total of 30,000 Etihad Guest miles.
This stack will let you buy 30,000 Etihad Guest miles for only $525 USD, or 1.75 cents USD per mile.
This is not the cheapest that we have seen Etihad Guest miles on sale for, but is less than the standard 2 cents USD per mile.
Getting the 20% bonus miles out of Amex Membership Rewards points
MRP convert to Marriott points at a 1:1 ratio. These then convert into Etihad Guest miles at a 3:1 ratio.
Here is an example of how such a transfer would work out:
- 60,000 MRP will convert to 60,000 Marriott points.
- 60,000 Marriott points will convert to 20,000 Etihad Guest miles, plus a 5,000 mile bonus from Marriott.
- With the 20% bonus (on the standard 20,000 miles, and the bonus 5,000 miles), you will receive 30,000 miles total.
This gives you a ratio of 2 MRP : 1 Etihad Guest mile – the same as standard direct transfers to the likes of other programmes like Virgin Australia and Qantas Frequent Flyer.
Amex warn that transfers of MRP to Marriott can take up to 14 working days. To be safe, this means you’d be wanting to take advantage of this conversion method sooner rather than later, if you want to use in conjunction with Etihad’s 20% bonus miles promotion.
If you have a stack of hotel points and prefer free flights over free nights, or you were already planning to make a transfer, then this offer could be of some value.
Remember, point devaluations can be introduced with or without notice, so you should only convert your hotel reward programme points to Etihad Guest if you have a specific redemption in mind.
Note that Etihad Guest miles expire after 24 months.