Agoda PointsMAX offer the ability to earn points on hotel bookings with a range of frequent flyer programme partners, including Velocity, KrisFlyer and Asia Miles. Now, they have teamed up with Fly Buys.
New Fly Buys partnership
Under this new partnership, you can earn the following:
- 1 Fly Buys Point per $15 spent on accommodation at Agoda PointsMAX, including on taxes and fees
- Points will be issued within 2 to 8 weeks after you have checked out of your accommodation.
Is this a good deal?
We value Fly Buys points at 16.6 cents each, as this is how much each point is worth when redeemed on flights with Air New Zealand and other airlines via helloworld. The standard earn rate therefore equates to an approximate 1.1% return on your accommodation spend.
This is not great value compared to using promotion codes with the varying hotel booking sites, where you can typically save 10-15% on your spend.
What is Agoda PointsMAX?
PointsMAX allow you to earn benefits when you book accommodation on Agoda.com. Simply choose your favorite loyalty programme—there are 47 of them—and you’ll earn points toward that programme with every booking.
Start by signing in, and then linking your preferred points programmes:
Choose a room at over 500,000 qualifying hotels:
Earn up to 6,000 points after completing your hotel stay, depending on the programme:
Who are the partners?
This is the full list of partners Agoda has brought into PointsMAX:
The key programmes for us here in New Zealand are likely Fly Buys, Velocity, Asia Miles and KrisFlyer—however depending on your redemption goals, you mat also be interested in programmes like AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus and Alaska Mileage Plan.
Some important notes for all PointsMAX bookings
- Only the lead guest can earn points. The name on the partner programme membership must match the name on the reservation
- The rates for PointsMAX bookings can often be higher than ordinary rates. Someone has to pay for those points, and it will most likely be you. Be sure to compare the value of the points earned to the difference in rate cost, to make sure you are ‘losing’ money
- The Agoda price guarantee does not apply to PointsMAX bookings
- PointsMAX bookings cannot be adjusted either online or via phone. To amend your reservations, you will need to cancel (subject to the cancellation conditions of the reservation) and re-book. Cancelled reservations and no show will not earn points, even if you’ve had to pay for your stay
- Watch out for PointsMAX bookings that offer a higher fixed points earn rate for a room. These rates are often far more expensive than ordinary rates
What else should I consider?
You should compare booking with the hotel directly versus booking with Agoda—often you can earn points for direct bookings at some hotels, or land a cheaper rate that provides a cash offset to any points you would have otherwise earned.
Having different ways to book hotels to meet different preferences for earning points, hotel credits, or whatever floats your boat is great.
Though there are so many options out there for travellers when it comes to booking hotels, and for the average yet savvy person making a hotel booking, it can be very time-consuming to maximise the trade off between rewards and paid rates.
My rule of thumb is to choose price over points when it comes to booking hotels, and if you can get both, then it’s a win.
Have you booked a hotel using Agoda PointsMAX? Let us know your experience in the comments below.
Supplementary images courtesy of Agoda