The Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard is a hotpoints-earning credit card, targeted towards SME business owners, in particular sole traders who may like to separate their personal and business expenses. The card comes with complimentary travel insurance.
- 1.25 hotpoints per $1 on eligible spend, uncapped
- Complimentary Travel Insurance, Purchase Protection Insurance and Extended warranty insurance (PDS)
- Up to 55 interest free days
- Annual fee: $50 half-yearly, except cardholders who also have a personal Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard, who will not be charged the annual fee for as long as they keep their personal account open
Point Hacks do not earn commission on this card. More about this →
The Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard is a hotpoints-earning credit card that is targeted towards SME business owners, in particular sole traders who may like to separate their personal and business expenses. The card comes with complimentary travel insurance.
Digging into the details of the Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard
|Card||Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard|
|Points earned from spend||1.25 hotpoints for every $1 spent on eligible purchases|
|Included insurances |
|- Travel insurance for up to 35 days per round trip|
- Purchase protection insurance - purchases paid in full on the card could be covered for up to 90 days if lost, stolen or accidentally damaged
- Extended warranty insurance - when you purchase goods for your business using your card, the original manufacturer's warranty on those goods is extended by up to 12 months
|Interest free days||Up to 55 days|
|Foreign currency fee||2.5% of the converted amount|
|Annual fee||$50 half-yearly, except cardholders who also have a personal Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard, who will not be charged the annual fee for as long as they keep their personal account open|
|Overseas ATM access fee||$2 per transaction, unless you use an ATM belonging to a member of the Global ATM Alliance, in which case no fee is incurred|
|Joint/additional card fee||$25 p.a.|
Earning hotpoints from spend with the Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard
With the Westpac hotpoints Platinum Mastercard, there is no points cap on what you can earn.
You will earn 1.25 hotpoints for every $1 spent on the card in NZ dollars.
This is an effective 0.62% cashback on business spend, based on 200 hotpoints being worth $1 when redeemed towards travel gift cards with Flight Centre, helloworld, House of Travel and YOU Travel.
Note that you can achieve slightly better cash value on other redemptions, such as credit to Westpac KiwiSaver schemes, donations, and store gift cards. With these, 180 hotpoints will be worth $1.
What are hotpoints?
Hotpoints is the name and currency of Westpac’s points programme. Once you earn 200 hotpoints, you will have $1 of credit that can be redeemed directly with Flight Centre, or on gift cards with the travel agencies listed above.
This is similar to the Air New Zealand Airpoints programme, but with the added benefit of being able to redeem towards seats on any airline.
Your hotpoints can also be redeemed towards:
- Gift cards and e-vouchers with a wide range of New Zealand and Australian businesses
- Direct ‘SpendBack’ credit on your account towards qualifying purchases made in the last 3 months, where 2,200 points will equal $10 back onto your account. Qualifying purchases include travel, groceries, fuel, dining, and annual fee card charges. Note that while these credits allow you to use your hotpoints towards travel purchases made anywhere, the number of points required per $1 is higher than if you redeemed for travel gift cards, so be sure to compare prices
- Products and experiences via the hotpoint online store
- Credit towards your Westpac KiwiSaver
- Donations to one of many charities
You will earn hotpoints on all spend, except cash withdrawals, and payments for cash equivalents (e.g. travellers’ cheques, money orders and gambling chips).
There is no obvious exclusion for government-related spend, so you should be able to pay taxes and other government fees and continue to earn hotpoints.
Insurances and other benefits
In the insurance bucket, you can receive:
- Up to 35 days of travel insurance cover for you and your family, per round-trip, including for:
- Cancellation of travel
- Overseas medical and associated expenses
- Unexpected travel and accommodation expenses
- Death of a relative and resumption of journey
- Luggage, personal effects and travel documents
- Travel delay
- Missed connections
- Funeral expenses
- Accidental death
- Loss of income
- Accidental death and disablement (common carrier)
- Hijack and detention
- Kidnap and ransom
- Rental vehicle collision damage and theft excess cover
- Personal liability
- Snow sports (with a payment extension)
- Purchase protection insurance
- Extended warranty insurance
For more information on the insurances above, be sure to read the PDS here. This is an important document to consider if you intend on relying on this cover to make sure they work for you.
This guide references some of the benefits of insurance policies provided with this credit card.
You should read the PDS and obtain independent professional advice before obtaining this product.
Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard Card Members will have access to an assortment of other offers + perks with Mastercard, including travel and dining experiences across the globe with Priceless.
Westpac offers Tap & Pay functionality through either its own app, or through a Westpac PayTag which can be purchased for $4.99. The PayTag can be attached to your keys or the back of your phone case, meaning you don’t need to carry your wallet around when making small transactions.
Summing up – Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard
The Westpac BusinessPLUS Mastercard is a no-frills business credit card that offers the ability to earn hotpoints from business spend, with no earnings cap.
All things being equal, the hotpoints programme is competitive with Air New Zealand Airpoints, as the points are flexible and can be redeemed for seats on any airline via either credit for direct purchases, or using gift cards with a range of travel agents.
You can also effectively use hotpoints as a form of ‘cashback’ for spend on purchases include travel, groceries, fuel, and dining.
However, if you earn Airpoints Dollars from travel and other sources, hotpoints may be less valuable than if you focused on earning points with only one programme.
Finally, while the 35-day limit to the travel insurance is quite low and does not compare well to other products on the market, the inclusion of purchase protection and extended warranty insurance could help to boost the value proposition a little. As usual, be sure to read the fine print to make sure the coverage is right for you and your business.
Share this article
Point Hacks Credit Card Information
Point Hacks is published by Point Hacks Australia PTY LTD. In some instances, Newformula Media receives a commission or benefit for referring you to the services of a bank / credit provider. This commission or benefit is disclosed at the point of referral to the credit provider. This website does not provide credit or advise you to apply for credit assistance from any particular provider.
We have not taken into consideration your circumstances or financial situation when providing the information on this website. It is important you read the relevant PDS from the product issuer and seek the independent advice of an appropriately qualified professional before making a decision on a product.
While we invest a great deal of time and energy into ensuring we provide with you with the most up to date and accurate information, we do not warrant the accuracy of statements or information contained on the Website relating to third party goods and services, including credit card information, loyalty schemes and rewards. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability arising from any person acting on those statements or information to the fullest extent permitted by law. Where conditions or warranties are implied by law and cannot be excluded, our liability will be limited to the re-supply of information. You should confirm the accuracy of information provided on this Website with the third party product provider before acting on it.