How to top up your Airpoints account
First, the catch—you need an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card, issued by Kiwibank.
Any of these cards will do:
- Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum
- Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard
- Air New Zealand Airpoints Low Fee
Once you have one of these cards, sign in to your Air New Zealand account:
This should take you to your ‘My Balances’ page.
Click on ‘Top up your Airpoints Dollars’ under the credit card tab:
Enter the amount you need and your Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card details.
Check that the details are correct, and click ‘Top up’.
Providing you have enough available credit, your Airpoints Dollar balance will be topped up instantly.
- You will incur a $5 fee for each top up, however as a plus, you will also earn Airpoints Dollars on your credit card spend.
- The top up fee is deducted separately from your account, so there’s no need to add it to the Airpoints Dollar amount you are purchasing
- Once purchased, Airpoints Dollars are non-refundable
- With the exception of Air New Zealand domestic flights, any taxes, and government and airport costs on redemptions will remain payable via credit card
- The top up page suggests that there is a waived ‘20% Airpoints Dollars top up fee’. Air New Zealand has been waiving this fee for some time however it is worth keeping an eye on this, as any change could affect any value proposition behind the purchase
The ability to top up your Airpoints balance is an exclusive benefit for New Zealand residents with an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card.
Less supply will hopefully mean less frequent devaluations.
Be sure to start your search for partner award availability here before purchasing Airpoints Dollars.
Have you made a great redemption that has only been possible thanks to an Airpoints top up? Let us know in the comments section below.